Education and Appointments:
2017/11 – 2020/03, Joint training Ph.D. student, Land Surface Modelling, Laboratorie des Sciences du Climat et de l’Environnement (LSCE), CEA-CNRS-UVSQ, Université Paris-Saclay, France. Advisor: Philippe Ciais
2015/09– 2020/06, Ph.D. in Quaternary Geology, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan). Advisor: Chunju Huang
2011/09 – 2015/05, B.S. in Geology, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)
Current Research Interest:
- Quaternary land surface modelling – We are simulating the land cover (i.e., wetlands and vegetation) changes during the mid-Holocene period in two monsoon regions, the North Africa and the Yangtze River Basin, using statistic models and land surface models
- Climate extremes and vegetation – Research focuses on identifying extreme events in vegetation productivity and their drivers during the past few decades with the application of meteorological observation, remote-sensing images and model outputs.
Selected Awards and Grants:
- 2020-2023 Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan), 200 k¥ [RMB]
- 2020 Excellent doctoral dissertation award in CUG
- 2019 GAOSHAN outstanding graduate student scholarship, 10 k¥ [RMB]
- 2019 Travel grant for the EGU General Assembly 2019, 7 k¥ [RMB]
- 2018-2020 Scholarship for joint training Ph.D. program from China Scholarship Council (No. 201806410044), 30 k€ [Euro]
- 2018 Outstanding graduate in CUG, Wuhan, China
- 2018-2021 National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 41772029), “Cyclostratigraphy of the Middle Triassic in South China”, Participant [rank 6th]
- 2016-2019 Natural Science Foundation for Distinguished Young Scholars of Hubei Province of China (No. 2016CFA051), “Global Change and Regional Response in the Middle Yangtze River Basin”, Participant [rank 6th]
- 2015 The 1st place of “Poster Design and Presentation Competition of the Tethys International Conference”, Wuhan, China
2014 Outstanding undergraduate scholarship in CUG, Wuhan, China
2020/09 – now, Associate Professor, Department of Earth Surface, School of Earth Sciences, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)
2020/09 – 2023/08, Postdoctoral researcher, Geology, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan). Collaborator: Shucheng Xie
Selected Publications (* author for correspondence):
Chen, W., Ciais, P., Zhu, D.*, Ducharne, A., Viovy, N., Qiu, C., Huang, C.*, 2020. Feedbacks of soil properties on vegetation during the Green Sahara period. Quaternary Science Reviews, 240: 106389.
Chen, W., Zhu, D., Ciais, P., Huang, C.*, Viovy, N., Kageyama, M., 2019. Response of vegetation cover to CO2 and climate changes between Last Glacial Maximum and pre-industrial period in a dynamic global vegetation model. Quaternary Science Reviews, 218: 293-305.
Chen, W., Zhu, D., Huang, C.*, Ciais, P., Yao, Y., Friedlingstein, P., Sitch, S., Haverd, V., Jain, A.K., Kato, E., Kautz, M., Lienert, S., Lombardozzi, D., Poulter, B., Tian, H., Vuichard, N., Walker, A.P. and Zeng, N., 2019. Negative extreme events in gross primary productivity and their drivers in China during the past three decades. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 275: 47-58.
Chen, W., Huang, C.*, Wang, L., Li, D., 2018. Climate Extremes and Their Impacts on Interannual Vegetation Variabilities: A Case Study in Hubei Province of Central China. Remote Sensing, 10: 477.
Li, M., Huang, C.*, Hinnov, L., Chen, W., Ogg, J. and Tian, W., 2018. Astrochronology of the Anisian stage (Middle Triassic) at the Guandao reference section, South China. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 482: 591-606.
Nature Climate Change
Journal of Earth Science
Copyright©Molecular Geobiology Group, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)
Molecular Geobiology Group
State Key Laboratory of Biogeology and Environmental Geology
China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)
NO.68 Jincheng Street, East Lake High-tech Development Zone, Wuhan,